What is a mind map
Mind map is a graphical multidimensional representation of the information appearing as a result of brainwork. It is used to visualize words, ideas, tasks and other items that are linked by lines or curves and arranged around a central concept or idea. Mind maps are used to create, visualize, structure and classify ideas as well as a means of studying, organization, solving problems, making decisions and writing. Unlike flowcharts and organizational charts, rules of creating mind maps are not formalized and are just advisory.
Why use mind maps
Mind maps are used in personal, family, educational, and business activity, including taking notes, brainstorming, summarizing, revising, and clarifying of thoughts. They are so widespread because they provide the following benefits:
- Focus on really important items – every new node of the mind map (especially marked by color or icons) is a new central element, new center of the association;
- Visually clear associations – mind maps help dimensionally correlate various ideas and terms. A person gets firm associations between the terms, and a related paradigm and detailed system of conclusions are formed;
- Memorizing improvement - it is achieved due to clear system of relationships and associations. Right logic and esthetic structuring of the information makes it easier to comprehend.
Tips and tricks
Here are some guidelines for creating Mind Maps:
- Get a big sheet of paper – the bigger, the better.
- Start in the center with an image of the topic.
- Use images, symbols, codes, and dimensions in your Mind Map.
- Select key words, use upper case.
- Each word/image should be used separately.
- The lines come from the central image. The central lines are thicker, organic and flowing, becoming thinner as they go out from the centre.
- Use multiple colors in the Mind Map, for visual stimulation and also to encode or group.
- Develop your own personal style of Mind Mapping.
- Use emphasis and show associations in your Mind Map.
Grapholite can help
Grapholite allows you to easily create a mind map by offering the following abilities:
- smart drawing tools, automatic connectors and shape library;
- ability to work in online and offline modes; in and out of browser;
- export to the most commonly used picture and document formats.
How to Draw a Basic Mind Map
The easiest way to draw a new mind map is to use Grapholite.